LSU Global Pre-Arrival & Orientation

** Students will receive finalized schedule when they arrive to campus

Arrival Day: Wednesday, May 18, 2022
Orientation Week: May 18-20

Orientation Week Activities and Informational Sessions
All freshman (first year students) celebration with LSU President
English, possibly Math, Placement Test
Academics and Student Services Information
Navigating LSU Campus
COVID 19 Vaccination Opportunity
Receive Class Schedule
Career Accelerator Program Introduction
LSU Email and Platform Set-Up
Shopping Trip

Before you arrive, please review and complete the items on the list below.

If you haven’t already done so, schedule a call with your Enrollment Services Advisor, who is available to assist you and answer your questions.

Please also schedule a visa appointment immediately and inform your Enrollment Services Advisor of the date and embassy location of your appointment. Applying for and receiving a visa is a lengthy process and can sometimes take several weeks to complete. You can check Visa Appointment & Processing Wait Times for your local embassy here.

Visit the Before You Arrive webpage for additional information.

We are excited to meet you and look forward to welcoming you to campus!


Intake Summer 2022- May 18 Fall 2022- August 14
Orientation May 18- 20 August 15 – 19
Classes Begin May 23 August 22
Last Day of Semester August 8 December 10

You will be advised by LSU Global Academics Advisor, McCahl Murray. All first term students at LSU have their classes pre-loaded. Your schedule will contain classes that count for your major and progression from LSU Global.

Your schedule will be created after you meet immunization requirements and have completed your placement exams. There may be some delay in creating transfer student schedules due to prior course evaluation.

You will be notified upon arrival about which placement tests you have to take. You will be registering for the courses during orientation.

Center for Academic Support on campus provides free tutoring for almost all first year courses. There are individual, small group, and class size tutoring and supplemental instruction available. See their link here:

Shell Study Groups are a great opportunity for students in the same course to meet with a tutor in a small group setting. These are scheduled sessions so they are offered for a variety of subjects and at multiple times, to best fit your schedule. Find out more or sign up for  a group here:

Supplemental Instruction sessions are free and voluntary study sessions for students, led by someone who has perviously taken your course. These sessions are a great way to make friends in your class and get your questions answered in a low-stress environment. See the link here to learn more:

Students will have bi-weekly appointments made based on their class schedule. Students will also have drop-in hours available throughout the week to meet for advising.

Frequently Asked Questions

LSU has announced they will be returning to normal in regards to classes being in-person.

You are responsible for the cost of your textbooks for classes. The professors will post all class materials, online and/or paper texts, needed for class in the syllabus.

Email academic coordinator, McCahl Murray for a letter of enrollment. Please allow three business days for the request to be completed.

Health & COVID-19

Visit for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 on campus.

Individuals with F-1 student visa status are required to show proof of COVID vaccination in order to enter the US. Vaccinations must align with the US’s approved list of COVID-19 vaccines. Only two exceptions apply:

  1. Student is from a country with limited COVID-19 vaccine availability (see list here ).
  2. Student is under 18 at the time of travel.

Effective December 06, 2021 – all international travelers (regardless of vaccination status) must show results of a negative coronavirus test taken one day prior to their flight’s departure from a foreign country traveling to the United States.

If neither vaccine exceptions apply to you and you remain unvaccinated, you may not be able to enter the US on the date of your scheduled travel.

For those passengers traveling under one of the above exceptions they must complete and present the Combined Covered Attestation Form to the airline at the time of departure. Passengers must be prepared to answer questions regarding Section 4 of the form and should have a clear understanding of their school’s COVID policies.

Student Health

LSU Student Health Center is available during business hours on-campus. The SHC is considered in-network for the health insurance provided by LSU Global. Here is a link for their website and all services offered.

Accidents happen, and we’ll get a little sick from time to time. That’s why here at LSU Global we have composed a comprehensive guide on how to get reimbursed for the prescriptions you might need to feel better. There are two guides available, one for our LSU Global students with the Wellfleet Insurance and another for our international students with the Unitedhealthcare Insurance.

For Wellfleet policyholders click these links: 

How to Submit a Prescription Drug Insurance Claim, Wellfleet Insurance

Wellfleet Prescription Reimbursement Request Form


For UnitedHealthcare policyholders click these links: 

How to Submit a Prescription Drug Insurance Claim, UnitedHealthcare

UnitedHealthcare Prescription Reimbursement Request Form

Frequently Asked Questions


During your stay in the U.S. in F-1 status, you are subject to many complex immigration law and regulations that relate to your legal status here. Advisors at International Services are available to assist you and answer your questions about your immigration status, but it is your responsibility to know and abide by the law in order to maintain valid legal status. It is to your benefit to make sure to maintain legal status throughout the duration of your stay in the U.S.

Abby Messing is the International Services Advisor for LSU Global Students. She can be reached by email at

Frequently Asked Questions

No, you must remain in 12 credit hours for fall and spring semester to maintain legal status for your F-1 visas. If there is an extreme circumstance for dropping below 12 hours, McCahl Murray, the academics advisor will work with you.

Travel signatures are required for re-entry to the United States, they need to be updated every 12 months.  Student may contact to get the signature on their I-20.

Job & Career Support

At LSU, the Olinde Career Center can help students with all career related questions. Their office is located in the LSU Student Union, just around the corner from the LSU Global Office. All services and events can be found on their website that is linked here:

Students in the LSU Global Program have exclusive access to our Career Accelerator Program Manager, Chrissy Cruz. Chrissy will have a presentation during orientation and inform students how to make an appointment with her for career advising.

Frequently Asked Questions

You may apply for a social security number ONLY if you have been offered a job on-campus or if you have been granted practical training (CPT or OPT) employment authorization (keep in mind that practical training options are generally not available to new students). An SSN will be given to you for employment purposes only, NOT for purposes such as applying for credit cards, renting an apartment, etc. If you do have a job offer and need an SSN, you must apply for a social security number through your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. If the SSN is for an on-campus job you must first bring your offer letter to International Services because an International Services staff member must sign off on the letter from your hiring department. For the SSA location nearest you, please visit the Office of Social Security and type in your zip code. You may also call 1-800-772-1213 or visit International Students and Social Security. You may download the social security application (Form SS-5) online.

You are able to work 20 hours on campus while classes are in session. When not enrolled in classes, during school breaks, you are able to work full time, 40 hours.

Yes, you are able to work more than one place on-campus, but you cannot exceed the maximum hours allowed.

This is the link to International Service’s page about CPT/OPT. They will add a date for an informational session(s) during the semester.

Scholarships & Finances

There are limited scholarships available to international students. Once you are admitted to your senior college, you are able to apply to small amount scholarships the college emails about.

There are many U.S. Bank Account options around LSU. We work closely with Campus Federal as it is located in the LSU Student Union. You will have opportunities to obtain a U.S. Bank Account the week of orientation.

See Enrollment Contract for relevant policies and dates.

Frequently Asked Questions

Students need to pay all tuition and fees in a timely manner to avoid late fees, potential loss of scholarships, and delays in registering for classes. Click here for instructions:


As you approach the end of your LSU Global program, it is important for you to keep in mind your requirements to progress to a degree-seeking student at LSU. The requirements are listed below for the various programs.

International Direct: 2.0 GPA, successful completion of senior college requirements

Academic and Extended Accelerator Programs: 2.5 GPA, C or higher in English and Math, 30 credits earned

At the intended completion of your program, there will a progression workshop to help you prepare for life as a LSU degree-seeking student. Attendance of this workshop is required as it includes information about registering for classes, paying your fee bill, maintaining immigration status, and more.

Parking & Transport

For information about parking on-campus, please see this link:

How to know if you are eligible to get a driver’s license?

  • Incoming and New Students: Your SEVIS record must be active before you can obtain a driver’s license, state id or Social Security number. Before you go to the OMV, wait at least 30 days after the start of the semester.

You must have at least 180 days left on your immigration document. You must also have one of the following:

  • A certificate of completion of an approved driver’s education course, unless you have…

1. A valid, unexpired driver’s license from another US state or territory OR

2. A valid, unexpired driver’s license from Germany, South Korea, Switzerland, or Taiwan.  The OMV has reciprocal agreements with these countries only. If you have any of these, you may go directly to the OMV and apply for a Louisiana driver’s license. If not, you must take a driver’s education course.

Where can I take a driver’s education course?

You will need to attend a driving school and take a 14-hour pre-licensing course. Before taking the course, you will have to go to the OMV and get a Temporary Instructional Permit. The course is 6 hours of class time and 8 hours of driving time, and the driving time is usually broken up into four 2-hour sessions. The school will provide the vehicle for the driving time, and some schools will pick you up at home. The average price for the course is around $400-$500, and many schools can also provide the driving skills test for an additional $40.

A link for certified driving schools is listed below, search online for the one that suits you the most. We do not endorse any driving school in any shape or form. Make all necessary questions and allow them to answer all your concerns before paying any fee. For example, ask if they are familiar with license requirements for international students, and ask how long it will take to complete the entire course. Some schools will provide the 6 hours of class time but make you wait to take the driving time, and you want to avoid this.

Here is a link for a list of certified driving schools$deccityhtml?OpenView

What do I take to the OMV?

Gather all the items below before you visit the OMV:

  • Passport
  • I-94 (Print from
  • Immigration documents: I-20, DS-2019, or I-797. F-1 students on OPT must present a valid EAD card. Dependents must present their own immigration documents and their primary visa holder’s documents.
  • Social Security Number: If you do not have an SSN, get an ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration at 5455 BANKERS AVE
    • You will to request an appointment with the Social Security Office before you go at 1(866)613-3070
  •  Bring your passport and immigration documents.
  • Tiger Card or other photo ID
  • Local utility bill in your name
  • Certificate of completion of an approved driver’s education course OR a valid license from another US state or Germany or Switzerland
  • Proof of car insurance, if you are taking the driving test at the OMV with your own vehicle
  • The standard license fee is around $43.00, but additional fees may apply.

What is the process at the OMV?

When you visit the OMV you will take a number and wait for service, unless you have scheduled an appointment online. Wait times can take many hours, so be patient and bring a good book, magazine, or just watch your favorite Netflix show.

The applicant may have an interpreter to translate for him/her during the examination process.

You may take the general knowledge test and the road skills test through a driving schools and present proof of completion to the OMV, then you will only need to pass the vision test.

If you have a license from another US state, or Germany or Switzerland, you will only need to pass the vision test.

If you are taking the driving skills test at the OMV you will need to provide a vehicle. The vehicle may be yours or a friend’s, but it must have a current safety inspection sticker (brake tag), current license plate validation sticker, a current certificate of registration, and proof of liability insurance for the vehicle.

What proof of insurance do I need?

The following documents can be submitted as proof of insurance:

  • A copy of the insurance policy or binder
  • Copy of the I.D. card issued by the insurance company
  • Copy of the declaration page
  • A written statement from the insurance company or agent.
    • The written statement must be on letterhead stationery, signed by a representative of the company and must include a full description of the vehicle and vehicle identification number.

Penalties for driving without insurance in Louisiana are very strict. You could face fines or even jail time. Do not take the risk of driving without being properly insured.

How can I get a Louisiana state ID?

If you are not planning to drive, a state identification card is a useful form of ID. Please, do not carry your passport with you, a state ID is a safe alternative.

  • To get a state ID, you must have at least 180 days left on your immigration document. Bring the following to the OMV:
  • Passport
  • I-94 (Print from
  • Immigration documents: I-20, DS-2019, or I-797. F-1 students on OPT must present a valid EAD card. Dependents must present their own immigration documents and their primary visa holder’s documents.
  • Tiger Card or another photo ID
  • Your local utility bill in your name

Where is the OMV?

The following offices are open Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm. Before heading to the OMV call and ask at what time they do driving tests, it can vary.


Student Life

LSU has a platform of all clubs and organizations called TigerLink. There are many opportunites for students to get involved and meet people with similar interests. See the link here:

LSU has a fully renovated UREC facility free of cost to students. Please see this link for all the activites they offer:

LSU offers a hybrid dining experience, with unique dining options at the 5, 459 Commons, and the Faculty Club. Additionally, the LSU Student Union is home to Panda Express, Chick-fil-a, Zippy’s, Melt Lab, Smoothie King, Einstein Bro’s, and McDonald’s.

Click here to see the current menu for our on-campus dining halls.

Mental Health Resources-- Off-Campus

List of free mental health resources available for our LSU global students with LSU Insurance.

Free mental health resources for students

List of mental health resources available for students with LSU Global insurance plan.

Social Workers insurance lsu global

Center for Academic Success

Develop your English language, math, and overall academic skills and gain the confidence to succeed in your US university classes. Improve your study habits, prepare for exams, and get your questions answered: Our helpful tutors and counselors are here to support you, every step of the way.

Academic Skills Tutors


Alicia Coe

I am Alicia Coe. I have been teaching English for academic purposes and critical writing at several universities in Europe and the United States for 17 years. Apart from teaching, I work as a curriculum developer, a writing consultant for undergraduate and graduate students, a copyeditor, and a Cambridge examiner. I am experienced in teaching international students; therefore, I can provide different learning approaches depending on the cultural background of each student.


Amanda Wilcox

I am Amanda Wilcox. Originally, I hail from Macon, Georgia where I studied Biology and Spanish at Mercer University. After teaching foreign language for about 5 years, I began a master’s degree at Auburn University. Upon graduating, I continued to teach Spanish at the university and eventually began teaching in the ESL department where I found my calling. I have been involved in teaching, tutoring, and curriculum writing for international students learning English ever since. In total, I have nearly 20 years of experience teaching all ages from young children to adults in an academic setting.

Math Tutors


Johnathon Taylor

My name is Johnathon Taylor, but people just call me Johnny. I attended Purdue University Northwest for my Bachelor of Mathematics. I am currently a PhD student in Pure Mathematics at Case Western Reserve and my highlight skills would include subjects within standard Calculus sequence, Topology, Discrete Mathematics, Algebra, and Category Theory. My current interests and field of study is Categorical Homotropy Theory with applications to the theory of infinity categories and n-categories. I plan to pursue this and other fields in the future.


William Bernardoni

William Bernardoni is a PhD student at Case Western Reserve University with a focus on Scheme Theory and Tropical Geometry. He has a background in Randomized Algorithms and Machine Translation. William graduated from Johns Hopkins in 2020 with a degree in Computer Science and Mathematics. He has recently taught Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and Calc. 2, and is especially comfortable tutoring Discrete Math and Calculus.

To schedule appointments with the following tutors, please click on the 25 or 50-minute sessions below. Please book 24 hours in advance to provide your tutors ample time to prepare for the session.