Before You Arrive
Congratulations, and welcome to LSU Global!
Soon you will be on the exciting LSU campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Before you arrive, complete the steps below to avoid common issues and delays for international students.
We have a team of dedicated personal advisors to answer all your questions and ensure you have a smooth transition to the university.
Middle East/North Africa
Russia/Central Asia/Eastern Europe
UK and Western Europe
Abbie (North Asia excluding Korea)
Erik (North China)
Doris (South China)
Saranya (Excluding Vietnam)
Viraja (South & West India)
Annie (South China)
Jane (West China)
Lisha (North China)
Mark (Central China)
Vicky (North China)
Your Pre-Arrival Checklist
After you receive the electronic copy of your I-20, complete the following steps before booking your visa appointment:
- Schedule a free visa information and preparation session with your personal Enrollment Advisor.
- Check that the details on your I-20 are correct (including your date of birth) and make sure your name is the same as it appears on your passport.
- Prepare the documents you will need to take to the embassy when attending your visa interview.
After you complete the above steps, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible. It requires an interview with the U.S. Embassy and can sometimes take several weeks to schedule.
- Complete your Visa Application.
- Pay your I-901 (SEVIS) fee.
- Visit usembassy.gov to learn more about scheduling your visa appointment, what to expect when you arrive, and the documentation you need to take with you.
- Notify your personal Enrollment Advisor of the date and Embassy of your visa appointment.
- Watch these videos to help you apply for your visa and prepare for your interview:
Other links that international students find useful:
Download this useful Immigration Guide to help you learn more about the process for getting your F-1 visa.
When purchasing your ticket to your new city, plan to arrive on or before your scheduled move-in day.
We are so excited for you to join us on campus! To ensure a smooth transition to your new home, plan to arrive on or before your official move-in day. Airport pickup is available at Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport (BTR) or Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY).
For program dates please visit the important dates page.
To help avoid delays with enrollment, make your tuition and fees payment in full two weeks before you arrive. When you begin, have your acceptance letter in front of you, as you will need to refer to the information in the letter.
- Flywire by Peer Transfer: Please visit LSU’s flywire portal to complete the transfer process. Please note that you can not use a U.S. credit card or U.S. bank account.
You will need to complete and submit the following form before your arrival.
- Immunization Form: Complete this mandatory health and immunization from prior to your arrival, as required by law.
All incoming LSU Global students are required to submit all of the immigration documents prior to enrolling in classes.
You must complete the following items before being permitted to begin your classes at LSU:
- Attend mandatory orientation at LSU Global (date and time are listed in your acceptance letter from LSU Global)
- Submit completed Immunization Form to LSU Global (this must be completed, signed and stamped by your medical doctor)
- Submit proof of health insurance to LSU Global
Bring the following documents to the LSU Global orientation:
- Original and valid passport
- Original Form(s) I-20
- F-1 visa (stamped on your passport)/F-2 visa (for dependents)
- Copy of your Form I-94 (to print your Form I-94, please visit i94.cbp.dhs.gov)
Note: If you have not submitted original financial documents (no photocopies) before your I-20 was issued, you will be required to bring them with you when you attend the LSU Global orientation.
This useful brochure is full of information on your I-20 paperwork required for your visa, what you should pack, and other tips to prepare you for your arrival on the LSU campus.
This guide will help you learn more about the process for getting your F-1 visa and arriving in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Check off everything on this list to ensure you have completed all the steps before you arrive and bring everything you need to the LSU campus.
Here’s an example of what your orientation schedule might look like. During orientation, you will receive a full campus tour, see the sights around Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and get to know your fellow international students!
Plan ahead! This calendar tells you when class starts and ends, and when holidays and exams are happening.